Netfix and Investigation Discovery have both created episodes about a Southeast Arkansas man, Kenneth Ray Osburn, who was convicted of the 2006 kidnapping and murder of Casey Crowder.
The Arkansas Supreme Court subsequently overturned Osburn’s conviction and ordered a new trial. The Court said Osburn’s rights were violated when the 10th Judicial District Circuit Court failed to suppress statements he made to investigators after invoking his right to speak to an attorney. Osburn ultimately pleaded guilty to kidnapping and second-degree murder. He was sentenced to 40 years in prison, a 30-year sentence for murder and a 10-year sentence for kidnapping.
The Osburn case is featured the Nextflix production, Gaslight, the first episode of season two of The Confession Tapes. The episode, which premiered this year, focuses on the confession that led to Osburn’s arrest, conviction and sentence.
The Investigation Discovery production about the case, Breakdown at Daybreak, is the 10th episode in season three of the See No Evil series. The episode, which premiered in 2017, focuses on the investigation of Casey Crowder’s kidnapping and murder.
Below is an index of stories about the Osburn case, listed in chronological order. [There is no trial story listed in the index. The reporter was subpoenaed to testify at the trial.]
• Search For Missing Teen Scaled Back
• Body Found in Desha County
• Police Question ‘Person of Interest’
• Police Await Crime Lab Results
• Desha County Man Arrested Casey Crowder Case
• Osburn Denied Bond
• Osburn Pleads Not Guilty
• Mental Evaluation Sought For Osburn
• Public Defender Wants Off Osburn Case
• Osburn Fit For Trial
• Osburn Pretrial Hearing Reset
• Continuance Granted in Osburn Trial
• Osburn Conviction Overturned
• State may seek death penalty in Osburn retrial
• Osburn Pleads Guilty to Casey Crowder’s Slaying