The Star City School District and the Yorktown Water Association held a joint groundbreaking with North Little Rock’s Today’s Power, Inc. to announce the school district and water association’s new solar projects.

Together, the two solar projects will cover about 12 acres, owned by Today’s Power Inc., and all energy generated by the two arrays will be sold under a 20-year Solar Power Services Agreement to the Star City School District and Yorktown Water.

As two pillars of the Star City community, these projects are part of the district’s ambitious initiatives around to reduce their carbon footprint while reducing operational costs. Construction on these projects will move forward in the last quarter of 2020.

Star City School District

The Star City School District array will be a 1-Megawatt (MW) single-axis tracking array. It is expected to save the school district by generating approximately 1,970,000 kWh in the first year, approximately 75 percent of its electricity, while C&L Electric Cooperative would provide the remaining 25 percent of the district’s energy needs.

The Star City School District solar project started with the district launching a request for proposal. After the full proposal process was completed, the contract was awarded to Today’s Power, Inc.

“The Star City School District is proud to be a part of this project,” said Star City School District Superintendent Jordan Frizzell. “We want to find innovative ways to take care of our environment while being fiscally responsible. As a pillar in the Star City community, being able to find ways to produce clean, renewable energy for our district is a great opportunity that benefits everyone.”

Today’s Power, Inc. President Michael Henderson said TPI is “excited” to partner with the Star City School District “to help reduce costs so more of the school’s funds can go to educational purposes.”

Yorktown Water Association

The Yorktown Water Association’s solar system will be 500 kW in size and will also use single-axis tracking technology. The system has been sized to provide 64 percent of the association’s energy needs and will generate 1,014,000 kWh in the first year of operation.

This project started when Jody Hibbard, manager of Yorktown Water Association, reached out to the C&L Electric Cooperative searching for a solar solution and was led to TPI.

“Our board of directors are always looking to save money, but also to invest in the future for the association,” Hibbard said.

Henderson said the project will help keep the cost of providing water low for all of Yorktown Water Association’s customers.

“This investment will also provide an economic boost to the Southeast Arkansas region,” Henderson said.

About

Today’s Power was created in November 2014 by Arkansas Electric Cooperatives, Inc. (AECI) to serve Arkansas’ electric cooperatives but our fellow cooperatives in neighboring states and municipals quickly learned of our program and wanted a “known business partner” to provide their solar system.

Today’s Power is now one of the most qualified renewable energy companies in the nation with more utility-scale solar and storage projects than any Arkansas based company.

As an integral part of helping the electric cooperative and public power sector serve their members who are interested in solar and emerging technologies, Today’s Power also designs advanced renewable energy systems for residential and commercial and industrial customers of all sizes.