Arkansans may now register vehicles online
Gov. Asa Hutchinson has announced a significant change to the way Arkansans may register vehicles with the State of Arkansas. While registration previously required a trip to the revenue office, vehicles may now be registered online. The Department of Motor Vehicles website walks Arkansans through the following steps:
• Registering the vehicle
• Paying sales tax on the vehicle purchase
• Purchasing a new plate or transferring an existing plate to the vehicle
Through this website, Arkansans may now avoid the revenue office altogether following the purchase of a passenger car or truck.
More than 643,000 vehicles were registered at revenue offices throughout the state in 2017.
“We are proud to be among the first states to offer online vehicle registration,” Hutchinson said. “Through this new service, Arkansans purchasing a new or used vehicle may conduct all follow-up business from the comfort of their own home. Today’s announcement is a strong example of our transformation efforts in action, improving the day-to-day lives of citizens.”
In addition, Arkansans may now order a duplicate driver’s license online. This website was launched in January 2018, initially offering several new online services that previously required a trip to the revenue office, including the following:
• Check Title Status Online – This service helps taxpayers check the status of their application for title.
• Transfer Ownership – This service allows taxpayers to notify the Office of Motor Vehicles (OMV) if they have sold their vehicle to another individual or to a dealer.
• Print Duplicate Registration – This service allows taxpayers to print a duplicate registration online.
• Estimated Sales Tax Calculator – This service allows taxpayers to calculate how much state tax they will owe for a vehicle before registration.
• Pre-Registration for First-Time License or ID card – This will allow those obtaining a first-time license or ID card the opportunity to pre-register online, reducing time spent in the revenue office.
• Enter Medical Information – This allows commercial drivers the opportunity to enter required medical information online
• International Registration Plan – This allows a first-time IRP registrant to apply online.
• Change of Address Notification – Arkansans may now update any change of address online. State law requires notification within 10 days of a change of address.
• Request Records – Allows for online request for records including a driver’s license status/clearance letter and a license reinstatement requirements letter.
“Under the leadership of Gov. Hutchinson, the Department of Finance and Administration (DFA) is continually working to improve customer experience through enhancements to services,” said DFA Larry Walther, pictured above (right) with Hutchinson.“From today’s announcement to offering Arkansans a confirmation text when a tax refund is processed, we are implementing new tools that save our fellow Arkansans valuable time and effort.”