The University of Arkansas at Monticello will receive $150,000 from the state General Improvement Fund to restore former Gov. Xenophon Overton Pindall’s Arkansas City law office to its original condition. The university owns the property.
When restored, the brick structure will become a museum housing artifacts and photographs of the history of Arkansas City and former Gov. Pindall, who became acting governor of Arkansas on February 11, 1907 and served until January 11, 1909.
Located less than 20 minutes from the UAM College of Technology in McGehee, the building will also provide a learning opportunity for hospitality management interns from the McGehee campus who will staff the facility, according to UAM Chancellor Jack Lassiter.
“The historical site will provide educational, archaeological, and historical renovation and interpretation activities for students from all three of our campuses,” Lassiter said.
Dr. Kyle Day and Dr. Clint Young, history faculty members in UAM’s School of Social and Behavioral Sciences, were recently appointed coordinators of the historical property.
The renovation and restoration project is part of a long-range plan by Arkansas City community leaders to make the area a tourist destination on the planned Southeast Arkansas Heritage Trail.
One of the state’s oldest towns, Arkansas City is located on the Mississippi River and has nature and walking paths on nearby Choctaw Island. Community leaders are also planning the restoration of several buildings in the town.
UAM is currently renovating the Taylor home on the 1846 Hollywood Plantation which will be part of the Southeast Arkansas Heritage Trail. Funding is being provided by the Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resource Commission.
The Italian POW camp in Monticello will also be part of the Heritage Trail as will other historic sites owned by Arkansas State University, the city of McGehee, and individuals.