John Wilson Martin HouseThe Bradley County Historical Museum will host a “Walk through History” on May 31 at 10 a.m.

The walk will begin at the museum and cover the downtown Warren area.

The museum is located in the Dr. John Wilson Martin House. Built in the mid 1800s, the house is believed to be the oldest remaining residence in Bradley County, according to the Arkansas Historic Preservation Program.

The Arkansas Historic Preservation Program (AHPP) will conduct the tour.

The AHPP’s 2012 ‘Walk through History’ tour in Warren generated considerable interest in the downtown area, so the Bradley County Historical Museum requested another tour for this year.

Tour participants will learn about the history and architecture of buildings around the courthouse square and on Main Street.

In 1880, Warren, the Bradley County seat, became the western terminus of the Ouachita Division of the Little Rock, Mississippi River & Texas Railroad, providing a reliable means of transportation for the town’s vast timber resources. In 1899 the Southern Lumber Company and Arkansas Lumber Company built the short-line Warren & Ouachita Valley Railroad from Warren to Banks to aid in shipping timber.

Warren is also the self-proclaimed “Pink Tomato Capital of the World,” hosting the Pink Tomato Festival each June. Warren’s historic buildings are indicative of the town’s early prosperity and position as a regional center of commerce.