The Civil War Sesquicentennial Marker Dedication Ceremony for the 16 companies raised in Drew County will be held on February 28, at 2 p.m. at the Drew County Courthouse.
These 16 companies contained 2,500 men and left 500 families without a breadwinner according to a 1941 document written by Mrs. J. D. McCloy, a Monticello resident who researched local court records.
Money was raised for this marker by the local United Daughters of the Confederacy, William F. Slemons, Chapter 977 of the Arkansas Division. This was done in conjunction with the Sesquicentennial Committee of the Arkansas History Commission in Little Rock. The marker will sit on the southeast end of the Drew County Courthouse.
The 9th Arkansas Infantry-Camp 652 Sons of Confederate Veterans will help the UDC with this dedication. They will bring men from the 7th AR Artillery, Blocher’s Battery and men from the 2nd AR Infantry to aid with the Gun Salute. The speaker will be Doyle Taylor, 1st Lt. Commander of the Pine Bluff Patrick R. Cleburne Camp.
Welcome and introductions will be given by Beth Thurman, local UDC president, and William D. Turney, Southern Brigade Commander, Arkansas Division.