Lavar Thompson


Tenth Judicial District Prosecutor Thomas Deen said Friday he will make a charging decision after he receives the case file on Lavar T. Thompson, the  man suspected in the double homicide Sunday morning in Monticello.

Thompson, 38, of Dermott, was arrested Tuesday afternoon in connection with the shooting deaths of Jeremiah Johnson and Sholonda Binns as well as the non fatal shooting of Kareena Gold. Thompson is being held without bond.

According to an affidavit for an arrest warrant for Thompson, dated January 10, Monticello Police received a 911 call from Kareena Gold (age and city of residence not disclosed in the affidavit) on January 10 at 6:20 a.m. saying that she had been shot by Lavar Thompson. Shortly thereafter, police received a 911 call from Markeia Jamison (age and city of residence not disclosed in the affidavit) saying that a black male had broken into a residence on Chester Street and shot Shalonda Binns.

When officers arrived on Chester Street, they were flagged down by Jamison who said the man who shot Binns was still inside the residence, according to the affidavit.

“Officers located a black male at the back part if the residence,” State Police Special Agent Terrie R. Smith wrote in the affidavit. “This subject was identified as Lavar Thompson.”

After taking Thompson into custody, police located a brown Lincoln Town Car up the the street from the Chester Street address. The motor was still running, and inside the passenger side was Jeremiah Jones. He was deceased, according to the affidavit.

“When officers spoke with Kareena Gold, she stated that she, Jeremiah Jones and Lavar Thompson were in her Lincoln Town car sitting in the driveway at 865 N. Cooper Street, which is Jones’ residence,” Smith wrote in the affidavit. “Gold told officers a subject she called Flip had shot her and her home boy she calls shotgun. Gold stated that when Flip shot them she jumped out of the car and ran down the street. Gold told officers Flip then drove off in her Lincoln Town car and she thinks her homeboy, Jeremiah Jones (shotgun) (is) in the car dead.”

According to a January 10 news release from State Police, Thompson had sustained a gunshot wound and was transported to a Little Rock hospital. Neither the news release, nor the affidavit for the arrest warrant indicated how Thompson received the gunshot wound.

Thompson was arrested Tuesday afternoon, January 12, in Little Rock by agents with the U.S. Marshals Service, according to a news release from the Monticello Police Department.

“(Thompson) was initially believed to have been a victim in the incident until during the investigation he was developed as a suspect,” Monticello Police Chief Eddy Deaton wrote in a Tuesday afternoon news release. “Baptist Hospital was contacted and they had released him shortly before our call to them.”