Drew County

 

The Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission has approved an application from the United Daughters of the Confederacy Chapter 977 for a marker-matching grant for a marker in Drew County. ACWSC Chairman Tom Dupree made the announcement of its approval after reviewing the text for historical accuracy.

The UDC chapter submitted the application after obtaining permission of Drew County Judge Robert Akin to have the marker placed at the southeast corner of the Drew County Courthouse. Chapter members provided the funding for their half of the matching grant.

As Drew County had no major Civil War activity, chapter members decided to list the companies that were raised in Drew County. After some research, they found that Drew County raised 16 companies. All will be listed on the marker. There was an option to have information on one side of the marker or on both sides. As there were so many companies, chapter members opted to donate a little more money do both sides of the marker. UDC members in this chapter are from Rison, Star City, Grady, and Monticello.

The Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Historical Marker Program works with local partners to help tell the stories of how the Civil War affected communities around the state. There are 75 counties in Arkansas, and thus far, 95 markers have been approved, and 59 counties are represented. Thus far only Drew, Chicot, Lincoln, and Desha have qualified for markers in Southeast Arkansas. Wording on the Drew County marker will be as follows (text on both sides of the monument):

Drew County Troops

Sixteen Confederate companies were raised in Drew County during the Civil War. Two, the “Confederate Stars” and “Selma Rifles,” joined the 3rd Arkansas Infantry and fought with the Army of Northern Virginia. Three, the “Cut-off Guards,” “Confederate Grays” and “Dixie Guards,” joined the 9th Arkansas Infantry, dubbed the “Parsons Regiment” because it held 42 ministers. The “Monticello Guards” of the 1st Arkansas Infantry and “Monticello Cavalry” of the 6th Battalion were raised in Drew County. All of these fought battles east of the Mississippi River.

 

Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission Col. William F. Slemons Chapter 977, United Daughters of the Confederacy Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council

 

Drew County Troops

Several Drew County companies served west of the Mississippi River. Co. L of Fagan’s Cavalry enlisted in Monticello May 12, 1862. Companies A, B and E of the 26th Arkansas Infantry Regiment joined the Confederate army in May 1862. The “Drew County Grays” of the 24th Arkansas Infantry joined June 16, 1862. They were captured at Arkansas Post in January 1863 and after leaving Union captivity served the rest of the war with the Army of Tennessee. Drew County men formed Companies B and C, 12th Arkansas Cavalry, and the Monticello Home Guards in late 1863.

 

Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission Col. William F. Slemons Chapter 977, United Daughters of the Confederacy Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council