George Flowers, a Southeast Arkansas man allegedly beaten in July, died Sunday. His body has been transported to the state Crime Lab to determine the cause and manner of death.

If the medical examiner determines the cause of the 67-year-old Drew County man’s death was the result of the alleged beating, charges against Flowers’ alleged assailant will be upgraded, according to Drew County Sheriff Mark Gober.

Jeremy Huskey, 38, also of Drew County, is s
uspected in the July 18 beating which is said to have occurred at a mobile home on Midway Route in Drew County where Flowers lived.

Jeremy Huskey

Flowers told authorities following the attack that he had heard a knock on his front door around 11:15 p.m. When he opened the door a man wearing a black mask hit him in the face several times. After Flowers fell to the floor, the man kicked him repeatedly, then left, according to Drew County Deputy Brandon Marc Wright’s narrative in a Drew County Sheriff’s Department incident report.

Flowers, who declined medical attention, told authorities he believed the man who attacked him was Jeremy Huskey, according to Wright’s report.

One of Flowers’ neighbors reportedly told authorities that he saw a blue Toyota passenger car pull into the drive prior to the assault. The neighbor believed the car to belong to Jeremy Huskey. Another neighbor told authorities he saw Huskey hit Mr. Flowers awhile back. When asked if they knew where Huskey lived, Flowers’ neighbors directed authorities to the second mobile home on the right, north of their driveway.

Drew County deputies drove to the residence where they were directed and found Huskey and his girlfriend, who, according to Wright’s report, lived at the same address where Flowers lived.

“Upon initial contact with Mr. Husky [sic], who was sitting on the porch with Ms. Johnson, it became apparent to both Deputy Ballard and I that Mr. Husky [sic] was highly intoxicated,” Wright wrote in his narrative. “I told them both why I was there and asked them where they had been tonight. Both replied that they had been there since 7:30 p.m. and had been drinking on the porch. Mr. Husky [sic] also stated that he had also been smoking weed but didn’t have any on him.”

Wright said there didn’t appear to be any marks or swelling on Huskey’s hands or elsewhere.

Asked to fill out a statement form indicating where he had been and at what time, Huskey reportedly told authorities he was too drunk to write his narrative, so Deputy Ballard recorded Huskey’s statement on a video recorder.

Two days later, a neighbor went to check on Flowers and found him lying on the floor. When deputies arrived at Flowers’ home they called to him and shook him. He woke, but seemed dazed. Flowers was transported by ambulance to Drew Memorial Hospital then transferred to a Little Rock hospital. It appeared that Flowers had severe head trauma, according to Wright’s report.

Huskey was arrested on assault charges on July 24. The following day, he had a first appearance hearing where his bond was set at $10,000. He was released on bond around 9 a.m. that day.