Sharif Hudson

Sharif Hudson

The University of Arkansas at Monticello men’s basketball team missed 19 free throw attempts resulting in a 99-97 overtime loss to Southern Arkansas on Thursday inside the W.T. Watson Athletic Center.

UAM (12-6, 5-5 Great American Conference) finished the game 31-for-50 at the line for 62 percent, while its counterpart shot 88 percent on free throws, making 37-for-42 charity shots. Overall, there were 60 fouls called in Thursday night’s contest, 42 coming in the second half alone. UAM missed three free throws in the final minute of overtime and missed two in the final minutes of the second half. UAM led in the final minute of each of those periods.

A three-pointer from SAU’s Reece Dunlap with eight seconds remaining in overtime sealed the win for the Muleriders.

There were nine lead changes in the first half, and neither team led by more than five points in the first 20 minutes. SAU (7-8, 4-6 GAC) reached its five-point lead at the 10:39 mark at 17-12, immediately answered with a 7-0 run by the Weevils in just over one minute. That run put UAM on top 19-17 with 9:06 remaining in the opening half.

UAM never trailed in the final nine minutes of the first half, despite a pair of tie scores forced by the Muleriders. UAM led 34-31 at halftime after a three pointer from senior Jared Harrison broke a 31-all tie and finalized the first half scoring with 1:10 remaining.

More of the same in the second half as neither team led by more than four points until UAM’s late surge. SAU reached a four-point lead on five different occasions in the first 17 minutes of the half, before UAM took over in the final three minutes. The Weevils took their first lead of the second half on a three-pointer from sophomore Ryan Lensing with 2:27 remaining.

A technical foul was assessed to SAU’s Alre’k Brown following that shot, allowing UAM to take a three-point lead on a free throw from Jared Harrison. UAM went on a 10-3 run at that point to get on top by as many as six pointswith 49 seconds remaining.

A technical foul assessed to UAM for having six players on the court allowed SAU to trim the deficit to two points with 24 seconds on the clock at 87-85. A pair of free throws from junior Kenric McCants put UAM back on top by four points with 20 seconds left.

SAU got to within one point with 16 seconds remaining on an old-fashioned three-point play from Tyrell Taylor and forced an overtime period on a put-back dunk from Jeffrey Walker with five seconds remaining.

UAM finished the game shooting 47 percent from the field (27-for-58) and 38percent on three-pointers (12-for-32). SAU shot 44 percent from the field (27-for-62) and 47 percent on three-pointers (8-for-17).

UAM posted five scorers in double-digits, led by Jared Harrison’s 21 points. Senior Brandon Wilson finished with 19, senior Dayton Mickens had 17, junior Sharif Hudson had 16 and junior Kenric McCants had 14.

SAU’s Alre’k Brown led all scorers with 28 points.

The Weevils are back in action on Saturday at home against Henderson State.Tipoff is set for 4 p.m. at Steelman Field House.