The University of Arkansas-Monticello baseball team picked up the series win on day one sweeping a doubleheader on the road against Henderson State Saturday. The Weevils earned the first win at the plate 8-3 and used a strong performance on the mound to pick 2-1 victory in game two.

Game One: UAM 8 – HSU 3

UAM (3-2, 3-2 GAC) jumped on the scoreboard early plating a run on an RBI-single from Aaron Gaela in the top of the first inning.

Matt Lundh, who got the start for the Weevils, retired seven of the first eight hitters he faced. The Reddies (5-3, 3-2 GAC) were able to get to him in the bottom of the third tying the game at one on an RBI-triple.

The Weevils responded in the next frame when Jordan Johnson brought home two on a triple to center field.

Jared Roberts took over on the mound in the bottom of the fourth and quickly found himself in trouble. However, the big lefty was able to leave the Reddies stranded on the bases to keep the score at 3-1.

HSU tacked on another run in the fifth, but the Weevils got the bats going again in the top of the seventh. Hudson Hopkins pushed the lead up to 5-2 with two-run double to left field.

The first two hitters for HSU reached in the bottom of the frame prompting UAM to bring Ojani Chacon in to replace Roberts. Chacon limited the damage to just one run in the inning.

UAM put two more on the board in the eighth on a two-run single by Grant Shepherd and added one more in the ninth with an RBI-double off the bat of Andrew Piraino.

Chacon closed the door on the Reddies in the bottom of the ninth to earn his first save of the season by sitting them down in order with a pair of strikeouts and a groundout.

The Weevils beat HSU 8-3 in game one tallying 10 hits including five for extra bases.

Roberts (W, 1-0) picked up the win for UAM allowing one run in three innings pitched.

Chacon (S, 1) earned the save pitching three scoreless frames while striking out five.

Austin Cross (L, 1-1) took the loss giving up three runs on three hits in 3.2 innings pitched.

Game Two: UAM 2 – HSU 1

The second game of the doubleheader was all about pitching. All the scoring happened in the first three innings as the teams combined for two hits over the final four frames.

UAM got on the board in the first inning again as Jordan Johnson drove home Cade Thompson with a single to left field. Shepherd went deep to right on a sole blast in the second inning to put the Weevils up 2-0.

HSU scratched one run across in the bottom of the third to cut UAM’s lead in half, but UAM starter River Hunt limited the damage by leaving a pair of runners stranded in the inning.

Hunt dealt a scoreless fifth before running into a bit of trouble in the sixth. After allowing the first two runners to reach, the Weevils went to the bullpen bringing in Colby Adkins who retired three straight to end the inning.

The Reddies threatened again in the seventh loading the bases with one out, but Adkins picked up back-to-back strikeouts to close out the win for UAM, 2-1.

Hunt (W, 2-1) earned the win for the Weevils giving up just one run in five innings while striking out eight.

Adkins (S, 1) picked up the save dealing two scoreless innings and striking out four.

Brayden Bebee (L, 0-1) gave up two runs in two innings pitched to take the loss.